Bookmark This Page
    Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members
    Forum Home
    Why is paint cracking?? Options · View
    BAFFLED79
    Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 4:16:53 PM
    Groups: Member

Hi all.
    Right. Dodgy old walls have been washed down, sanded, wiped over, lightly skimmed and filled, sanded, and painted with 2 watered down white emulsion coats to seal.

On applying paint 'tester' pots to various areas i have noticed some tiny cracks appearing in this test paint once dry. Some cracks run vertically up to around an inch long, others have a sort of 'crackle' glaze appearance to them.

The thing is, it's not over the whole wall. I had three patches of colours next to each other and the middle one had no cracking, and the others did?

I have re-sanded, re-filled, re-sealed in various different combinations but with no joy.

Does anyone know what this is please, and how I can resolve it? I've spent ages getting this far, and it doesn't look like the work has paid off?

Thanks
    Sponsor
    Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 4:16:53 PM
    stanley23
    Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:44:53 PM

I noticed that you said old walls, is there an issue with damp at all? this may be the issue but have a look at a previous post, it may give you an idea http://www.lets-do-diy.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=87 BigGrin
    Aberdeen Decorators
    Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:29:56 PM

If you used the brush that comes with the tester pot you've applied it too thick and that is causing it to crack.Try applying with a radiator roller spreading evenly.Report back if that cracks.You're better sealing your walls with thinned down pva,cheap contract paint can flake off after time,especially over filler.

We always line old plastered walls once we've skimmed them level with a couple of tight coats of easy fill.Leave a 1mm or so gap between joins,1st coat them fill the joins,done right it looks like a newly plastered room.
    Did you use sugar soap,f you did I hope you rinsed VERY well.
    ColinTomson
    Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:08:50 AM

It may depends on many things.
    If you didn't keep your paint brush clean
    If you didn't squeeze it better and used a lot of paint.
    It the wall was not smooth or flatly or clean

links in signature not allowed
    peterrsmartin
    Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:28:21 PM

Paint cracking is a common problem, usually quite visible in older homes with a lot of layers of paint. It looks like a flattened spider web of cracks in the paint. The similar term crackling is used to refer to a fuax finishing painting technique to that is meant to resemble cracked paint found in older homes.

shelmart
    Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 2:39:29 PM

could be due to the fact the paint was applied to the wall when it was still damp, only a possibility though
    eeplants
    Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 2:18:55 AM

I also have the same problems with the paint. It has cracks as it dries and will be more visible as it grows older.

Interior Plants LA
    jeffsmith1515
    Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:13:30 AM

BAFFLED79 wrote:
    Hi all.
    Right. Dodgy old walls have been washed down, sanded, wiped over, lightly skimmed and filled, sanded, and painted with 2 watered down white emulsion coats to seal.

On applying paint 'tester' pots to various areas i have noticed some tiny cracks appearing in this test paint once dry. Some cracks run vertically up to around an inch long, others have a sort of 'crackle' glaze appearance to them.

The thing is, it's not over the whole wall. I had three patches of colours next to each other and the middle one had no cracking, and the others did?

I have re-sanded, re-filled, re-sealed in various different combinations but with no joy.

Does anyone know what this is please, and how I can resolve it? I've spent ages getting this far, and it doesn't look like the work has paid off?

Thanks

Hi
    I found www.comparethetradesmen.com very useful, you don’t have to fill in loads of details and you compare the tradesmen before you even make contact unlike similar sites. www.comparethetradesmen.com is by far the most user friendly tradesmen comparison site out there.

jeffsmith1515
    Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:14:03 AM

peterrsmartin wrote:
    Paint cracking is a common problem, usually quite visible in older homes with a lot of layers of paint. It looks like a flattened spider web of cracks in the paint. The similar term crackling is used to refer to a fuax finishing painting technique to that is meant to resemble cracked paint found in older homes.

Hi
    I found www.comparethetradesmen.com very useful, you don’t have to fill in loads of details and you compare the tradesmen before you even make contact unlike similar sites. www.comparethetradesmen.com is by far the most user friendly tradesmen comparison site out there.

Johnmarrison
    Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:42:07 AM

Hello guys,

Painting over a greasy or dusty surface, walls cleaned with chemicals, old wallpaper paste, PVA or even using different finish paint to the original are just a few. Applying the paint too thickly and drying out quickly can also cause this issue. The problem isn't always easy to solve, but one way that often works is to sand the surface as smooth as possible, dust off and apply an oil based undercoat before re-painting with your finishing emulsion. Not guaranteed, but usually successful. Another way is to use a fine surface filler/one-fill over the crazed areas with a wide bladed filling knife and sand smooth before painting again it is unlikely that just applying more coats will solve the problem, but you might be lucky and find it does.

Best Regards,
    John Marrison Cool