Bookmark This Page
    Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members
    Forum Home
    Damp on insulation in porch Options · View
    BAFFLED79
    Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 9:13:36 PM
    Groups: Member

Hi,

We have a porch extension with a pitched, tiled roof and no internal door separating it from the rest of the house.

I pulled the ceiling down after the storms as water got in under the flashing and ruined it.

I noticed quite a few droplets of water on the felt lining the tiles sit on and was hoping this was just condensation from the warm house air meeting the now exposed roof.

I have since put up two new layers of mineral wool insulation (between and over roof joists), and now a few weeks on I have noticed that most if not all of the top side of the insulation is quite damp?

I am really hoping that this again is where warm moist air is escaping upwards, condensing on the roof and dripping down. I have now put up new foil backed plasterboard on the basis that it will stop more moisture getting up there as it was essentially an un-insulated space. I have taped the joins and edges as well, as the draught was still forcing its way through any gap.

There is certainly ventilation in the small roof space as before putting up the board, there was a hell of a draught coming through.

Does anyone think this is the case and that this will dry out on its own, especially if the weather ever dries out and warms up; or have I wasted my time in boarding it up?

Any advice is greatly appreciated (good news would be preferred, god knows I need some)

Cheers

Sponsor
    Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 9:13:36 PM