lets-do-diy.com logo lets-do-diy.com stripes
Account login  |  Register
Bookmark This Page

    Wall and floor insulation

    When deciding upon the particular insulation you require, you need to take into account the cost, general ease of use, thermal properties and suitability for the job.

    Fibreglass blanket insulation

    Rolls of fibreglass insulation designed to fit between joists or rafters. A roll of insulating fibreglass will be 400mm (16in) wide and can vary in thickness from 100mm (4in) to 200mm (8in). The rolls are very easy to use due to the flexibility of the material. However, fibreglass can cause irritation to the skin so it is advisable to wear work gloves when handling it and a disposable facemask to avoid inhaling any fine particles.

    Loose-fill insulation

    Loose-fill is an alternative to blanket insulation and is particularly useful for insulating awkward spaces that are hard to access. It is sold in bags and poured between the joists to the required depth. The most common types of loose-fill loft insulation are vermiculite granules, polystyrene and mineral fibre.

    Polystyrene plasterboard

    This rigid board is designed to insulate either below floors or in roofs. The boards have tongue-and-groove edges so they can interlock securely.

    Insulating plasterboard

    The plasterboard has an insulating layer of polystyrene. This type of insulation is often used in loft conversions.

    Insulation board

    Insulation board is most widely used as a form of insulation under concrete floors.

    Rigid board insulation

    Foil backed foam insulation boards are 50mm (2in) thick and very effective for insulating loft ceilings and roof walls.

    Semi-rigid fibre insulation batts

    Sheet insulation made of glassfibre or mineral fibre.

    Insulated storage decking

    This type of insulation is different to most as it is used for converting a loft into a storage space. Insulated storage decking should always be laid on top of loose-fill or blanket insulation.

    Acoustic mat

    Used to prevent noise penetration through the floor, the mat has excellent sound insulating qualities and can be used under most types of floor coverings including: wood, laminate, ceramic floor tiles, marmoleum and linoleum.

    Acoustic slab

    This alternative type of soundproofing is manufactured from non-combustible mineral wool and is sold in slabs. It is designed to help reduce sound transmission through walls, ceilings and floors. It is easy to install into metal stud partitions.

    Return to top of page