Tenants’ lives are at risk because landlords are failing to provide them with the right gas safety information, CORGI has revealed.
A third (32.3 %) of people living in rented accommodation have never received the basic facts from their landlords on how to keep safe from carbon monoxide poisoning, the home safety company has found.
CORGI’s biggest survey yet asked over 3,000 people about their attitudes towards the maintenance, repair and the dangers of neglected gas appliances.
One in three respondents said they had not received vital information, such as a copy of their boiler safety certificate from their landlord. Tenants are also not being given contact details for a certified tradesperson in case of emergency or even made aware of the location of their boiler.
The elderly and over 55s were the most neglected according to the study, whilst 35% of young people aged 16-24 had never been shown where their gas emergency control valve was.
Landlord’s failure to supply vital information raises fears that many people may be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
CORGI has revealed that more than 20 people die every year from accidentally inhaling Carbon Monoxide in their own homes – a silent killer which many are unaware of.
Dangerously high levels of Carbon Monoxide from appliances and flues that are not properly installed, maintained or serviced can also cause paralysis, brain damage or death. Most of these casualties could have been avoided as the main causes of the incidents were due to poor maintenance and a lack of servicing.
CORGI home safety guru and technical expert, Ray King said: “Landlords are failing their tenants on a massive scale by not following the fundamental rules of gas safety. Their negligence is putting lives at risk.”
The father of two said the statistics showed a worrying widespread lack of knowledge regarding gas safety in the home.
“We all need to know about our gas appliances, when they need to be serviced and who to call in an emergency. Too many people are using unaccredited trades people and do not have a Carbon Monoxide alarm because they are unaware of the dangers.”
Tenants are advised to install one of CORGI’s gold standard Home Safety Packs, which include fire extinguishers, carbon monoxide alarms (including a test spray for the alarm), smoke alarms and First Aid kits.
The packs are available online at www.corgihome.co.uk where you can also find vital information and useful tips on keeping your home and family safe.