One man's accident during a DIY decking project has highlighted the need to take extra care when using power tools.
The 55-year-old, from Tamworth, had to be airlifted to hospital after partially amputating his thumb with a circular saw.
He had been laying decking in his garden during the bank holiday weekend when the accident happened.
Emergency crews were called to his home in Neville Street and promptly requested an air ambulance to get the man to hospital as quickly as possible.
He required specialist surgery on his hand injury and it is not yet known whether doctors were able to save his digit.
The incident comes after the College of Optometrists urged people carrying out DIY projects to don protective eyewear.
According to figures from the institution, some 30,000 people suffer eye injuries in the UK every year as a result of doing DIY without proper equipment.
Posted by Barney Marshall