LAST UPDATED: 7th January 2023 by The Editorial Team
Summary: Step by step guide showing how to clean a shower head and remove and clean a rainfall shower head.
How to clean a shower head
After months or years of everyday use, your shower may not perform as well as it should. This may be due to a build up of dirt and mineral deposits within the shower head. In order to remove the dirt, you will need to take the shower head apart and clean it in the correct manner.
- Begin by carefully removing the head. If you require pliers to do this, be sure not to scratch the chrome. This can be avoided by wrapping the chrome parts in a towel. See how to remove a shower head.
- Once the shower head has been removed, you will need to have a container large enough to place the shower parts that need cleaning. Add vinegar to the container and leave to soak for 10-12 hours.
- Gold or brass shower heads should not be treated in the same way as ordinary types. This is because they have been coated to protect them from oxidation; also any use of abrasive cleaning products may damage the finish. To clean them, spray with vinegar and let the shower head soak for 15 minutes. If still not completely cleaned, repeat the process. Do not soak the fixture for more than 30 minutes at a time.
- After this time, use a wire or a toothbrush to clear any holes that may still be blocked, and rinse thoroughly with hot water.
- If you do not feel comfortable taking the shower fixtures apart, you can soak the head by attaching a vinegar filled bag to it and letting it soak overnight.
- Vinegar is given as the option for cleaning the shower head fixtures as it is cheap and gets the job done. Commercial cleaning products are readily available, but will cost more. Although any vinegar will get the job done; white vinegar is known to be more effective.
- During cleaning the shower head, inspect the fixture to see if there is any wear and tear. It may be that you need to replace part of your shower as it has become worn with time.
- Wire or toothbrush
- Vinegar or specialist cleaning product