Summary: Learn how to install a cylinder rim lock.
How to install a cylinder rim lock (Yale lock)
- Position the latch at a convenient height and draw around it. Extend your lines around the edge of the door to the other side of the door.
- Measure the distance from the edge of the lock to the cylinder and mark the cylinder position on the front face of the door.
- Drill a hole for the cylinder with an auger bit, drilling from both sides of the door towards the middle to prevent wood splitting.
- From the outside of the door, insert the cylinder into the hole so that it protrudes on the inside.
- On the inside of the door, attach the mounting plate.
- Saw the spindle down with a hacksaw to fit into the lock.
- Place the lock over the mounting plate and spindle, and secure with screws provided.
- Push the door closed, and mark the top and bottom of the latch onto the doorframe.
- The metal housing that receives the latch is called the staple. Position it on the doorframe in line with the latch markings, and draw around it.
- To recess the staple in the frame, use a chisel to chop out wood to the necessary depth.
- Screw the staple to the fame, and test the lock to make sure it fits squarely into the staple.
- Joining pipes
- Removing an air lock in a water pipe
- Tap repairs
- Burst pipe
- Self cutting taps
- How to cut pipe
- Covering a flat roof
- Fitting a roof window
- Flashing repairs
- Downpipe repairs