Summary: Learn how to install a mortise lock, fit a latch, fit a handle and fit a strike plate.
Fitting the latch
- Position the latch at a convenient height and draw lines to mark the top and bottom edges.
- Extend your lines around the edge of the door to the other side of the door, as you will need to drill holes from both sides of the door to prevent the wood splitting.
- Draw a line to mark the keyhole height and spindle height (the spindle is the bar that goes through the door), extending the lines around to the other side of the door.
- Measure the depth of the spindle and keyhole from the front face of the latch, and use this measurement to mark the corresponding depth of the spindle and keyhole onto the front face of the door. Extend the lines around to the other side of the door.
- Drilling from both sides of the door towards the middle, drill the hole for the spindle where the lines marking height and depth cross.
- Drill the keyhole in the same way. You may need to drill more than one hole to make enough room for the keyhole.
- To make a hole in the edge of the door for the latch mechanism, measure halfway along your lines marking the top and bottom of the latch, and join up these points to produce a central vertical line cross-sectioning the horizontal lines.
- Drill a line of overlapping holes down this line using a drill bit just a little larger than the latch.
- Use a chisel to enlarge the overlapping holes until you can slide the latch into the hole.
- Mark the position of the screw holes on the latch.
- Pull the latch back out and drill pilot holes in the door edge for the screws.
- Replace the latch and screw it in place.
Fitting the handles
- Attach the spindle to the door handle.
- Insert the spindle into the spindle hole on the door and mark the position of the handle plate’s screw holes onto the door.
- Drill pilot holes for the screws.
- Do the same on the other side of the door.
- Screw both handles in place.
Fitting the strike plate
- Push the door to until the latch is resting against the doorframe, and mark the top and bottom of the latch onto the doorframe. Then extend these lines around to the inside of the frame where the strike plate will be fitted.
- Measure the distance between the front face of the latch and the edge of the door, and transfer this measurement onto the doorframe to ensure the strike plate aligns correctly with the latch.
- Position the strike plate and draw around it.Mark the position of the screw holes on the strike plate.
- Draw around the latch hole that is cut-out in the strike plate.
- Hollow out the hole for the latch using a drill and chisel.
- To make the strike plate flush with the door surface, use a chisel and hammer to cut out a recess to the depth of the strike plate. The easiest way is to cut slits into the wood and carefully lever these up with a chisel.
- Drill the holes and screw the strike plate in place.
- Joining pipes
- Removing an air lock in a water pipe
- Tap repairs
- Burst pipe
- Self cutting taps
- How to cut pipe
- Covering a flat roof
- Fitting a roof window
- Flashing repairs
- Downpipe repairs