LAST UPDATED: 7th January 2023 by The Editorial Team
Summary: Step by step guide and video showing how to clean a shower, cleaning the shower by cleaning the shower curtain, cleaning the shower door, cleaning shower tiles, cleaning the shower head and cleaning the drain.
Cleaning a shower
Showers accumulate all kinds of dirt and grime, and it is recommended you clean your shower often. To clean your shower effectively, you need to access hard to reach areas such as the corners, inside the shower head and the shower doors/curtains. You should remove everything from inside the shower before you are ready to clean.
- Start the cleaning process by rinsing the surfaces of your shower with hot water. This is mainly just to remove the larger pieces of dirt, hair and grime and wash it down the drain.
- Next, you need to remove all mould and mildew. This is most effectively done using a spray, which kills the bacteria and makes the mould and mildew easy to remove with a cloth. Once sprayed, leave it to sit for a few minutes before wiping clean. Mildew sprays are widely available from supermarkets and DIY stores.
- When cleaning shower curtains and shower doors it is possible to use homemade ingredients such as vinegar. For more information, see How to clean the shower curtain or shower door.
- Tiles can be cleaned fairly easily due to their smooth, flat surfaces. Run hot shower water to create steam, which will dampen the tiles and loosen the dirt. For further instructions, see How to clean tiles.
- It may be necessary to clean your shower head, as build up of dirt can affect the water as it sprays out. This will require knowledge of taking apart the implement and how to clean it effectively. See How to clean a shower head for more information.
- Lastly you need to clean the drain. This will require gloves, as a lot of grime, hair and other unpleasant dirt accumulates there. With a bin to hand, unscrew the drain cap and using a tool if possible, clear out all dirt. Keep pulling the hair out until the drain is clear.
Cleaning a shower curtain video
Summary: DIY video showing you how to clean a shower curtain.
It does not take long for shower curtains to get dirty. Soap scum, dirt and mould can appear in just a few days and this can make a very unpleasant shower area. The good news is that cleaning a shower curtain is easy and does not take much time.
Cleaning grout video
Summary: DIY video showing you how to clean grout.
It is common for grout to get mould or dirt, especially in damp areas like a bathroom. Because grouts are porous they absorb dirt and can be difficult to get clean. Some people choose to regrout their tiles, however it is possible to get the tiles clean without regrouting.
Cleaning ceramic tiles video
Summary: DIY video showing you how to clean tiles.
Clean tiles and grout can make the whole room look clear and fresh without having to redecorate the space. Cleaning ceramic tiles regularly before they get stained will make the job much easier. You do not have to spend money on expensive cleaning equipment; vinegar, baking soda and a toothbrush are excellent for removing stubborn stains.