Summary: Learn how to install a new door and install a new door frame.
To fit a door, you will require a lining or frame fixed to the rough opening in the wall, which the door can be attached to. Alternatively, you can buy a doorset, which comes with the door and frame pre-fitted and can be fixed directly to the rough opening.
Building a door frame
- Measure the opening and trim the frame of the doorset to fit if necessary.
- To keep the frame firm while it is fitted, fix two or three battens across the frame, if it does not already have them.
- Hammer some temporary nails partway into the rough opening to support the back of the doorset when it is in place.
- Position the doorset so that it is plumb.
- Get somebody to help you position the doorset into the rough frame. With the door being held level, insert wooden wedges between the opening and the doorset to maintain its position.
- Attach the door handle and strike plate (see fitting a mortise lock).
- From the front of the doorset, saw off the excess from the wedges keeping the frame in place.
- From the back of the doorset, fix the frame by driving the supplied screws or nails through the frame and into the opening. If you are supplying your own fixings, check that you have bought the right type for a masonry or stud wall.
- Conceal the exposed area of the opening with timber strips glued to the rough frame with wood adhesive.
- Moving back to the front of the door, remove the support battens and check the door opens and closes correctly.
- Using a spirit level check the doorset is level.
- If the door is working correctly, add more fixings to secure the frame. As you proceed with the final fixing keep checking that the door is working properly and remains level.
- Finally, check that the door opens and closes correctly before fixing architrave to both sides of the doorway for a neat finish (see fitting architrave).
- Claw hammer
- Spirit level
- Panel saw
- Timber batten
- Timber strips
- Wood adhesive
- Building a metal framed stud wall
- Building a stud partition wall
- Creating an arch
- Closing a fireplace
- Laying ceramic floor tiles
- How to cut pipe