Summary: Learn how to stain a deck, prepare decking before staining and painting the decking with wood stain.
Staining your timber decking makes it both look good and protects it from the elements such as water and ultraviolet rays. You can choose either a clear or dark coloured stain.
- Start by cleaning the decking. You will need to remove all the dirt and grime that has built up over time before you can apply the wood stain. The best method for removing dirt from the timber is to use a jet wash. Alternatively you could simply use soapy water and a stiff brush. See How to clean a deck.
- Allow the deck to dry completely before applying any wood stain.
- Consult the manufacturer’s instructions on how best to use their product before application. You may need to apply more than one coat of stain. Make sure you wear protective clothing and gloves before starting the project.
- Depending on the size of the job, fill a container with a suitable amount of wood stain and use a paint brush size that will best match the amount of surface area that needs staining. You do not want to use a paint brush too small or too large. It is possible to use a long handled roller if required, however you will need to use a paint brush for the hard to reach areas.
- Using the paint brush or roller, dip into the container and allow it to absorb only enough wood stain for a few strokes.
- Roll or brush onto the wood and make sure you apply an even coating.
- Any areas or dark spots that have excess stain, you can dab using an old rag cloth.
- Allow the stain to soak in and dry for at least 24 hours. Apply another coat if manufacturer suggests this.
- Building steps
- Creating a garden path
- How to build decking
- How to lay turf
- Installing pond liners
- Laying a patio
Related cost guides
- Average cost of a driveway
- Average cost of a greenhouse
- Average cost of a shed
- Average cost of a swimming pool
- Average cost of block paving
- Average cost of decking
- Average cost of landscaping
- Average cost of soil
- Average cost of tree removal
- Average cost to hire a cherry picker
- Average cost to hire a mini digger
- Average cost to lay turf
- Average fence installation cost
- Average patio cost
- Average tennis court cost