Homeowners have been given some DIY advice that may help them avoid the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
In a BBC News article, the Public Health Agency (PHA) has suggested that it may be worthwhile installing an audible carbon monoxide alarm that meets British or European standards.
According to the news provider, these cost around £20 and can be bough in most DIY stores or supermarkets.
Furthermore, the organisation suggested that flues, air vents and grilles are kept clear, while rooms should be well ventilated.
Dr Anne Wilson, consultant in health protection at the PHA, also gave some advice to people who think there may be a leak in their home.
“Anyone who suspects they may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should immediately turn off all appliances, go outside and seek medical help from a qualified healthcare professional.
“Appliances should not be used again until they have been serviced by a registered engineer.”
Because it is odourless, carbon monoxide is often difficult to detect without special equipment until the symptoms of poisoning are felt.