Summary: Learn how to install, fit or repair a pull cord switch or a bathroom pull cord switch.
Wiring a pull cord switch
- Cut off the power supply to the relevant lighting circuit from the consumer unit.
- Unscrew the switch’s face-plate from the ceiling mounting box.
- Make a note of which cores connect to which terminals before releasing the cores from the terminals
- Remove the screws holding the switch mechanism to the plastic face-plate. Keep a tight hold of both parts as you do this to prevent the spring sending small components flying in all directions as you release the screws.
- Inspect the inside of the face-plate closely to understand how the switch operates. In the example shown, a small plastic spindle bearing the words ‘On’ and ‘Off’ turns 90°, which in turn either completes or breaks the circuit.
- Remove the plastic spindle and detach the plastic peg that has the pull-cord attached to it, leaving the spring in place.
- Tie a knot in one end of the replacement cord, threading the other end through the washer and peg.
- Then feed the cord through the spring in the centre of the face-plate and replace the peg to secure it.
- Replace the ‘On’ and ‘Off’ spindle into its housing.
- Put the switch mechanism and the face-plate back together again.
- Feed the cord emerging from the switch through the fitting that attaches it to the rest of the cord.
- Reconnect the cable cores to the terminals in the switch, insulating any bare earth cores in green-and-yellow sheath.
- Screw the face-plate back onto the ceiling mounting box.
- Insulated screwdriver